we want you to graduate in four years. that used to be the norm, but today just a little more than half of college students get their “four-year” degrees within six years. graduating in four years means you have the opportunity to enter grad school or your career sooner. you save money on your education. the bison pledge helps you do that.
Our pledge to you:
- OBU will offer all required courses necessary for you to complete an undergraduate degree and graduate with a single major within four years.
- OBU will provide a qualified faculty advisor to assist you in scheduling your classes and keeping you on track to graduate within four years.
- OBU will provide academic support services to assist you in successfully completing your degree and graduating within four years.
- If you keep your part of The Bison Pledge and you are unable to complete your degree within four years, OBU will provide the additional course(s) you need to complete your degree at no tuition cost, offer acceptable substitute courses and/or waive the requirement for the remaining course(s).
Your pledge to OBU:
- You will enroll at OBU as a full-time student in eight (8) consecutive fall/spring semesters plus the J-Term of your freshman year.
- You will enroll in and successfully complete at least 32 hours per academic year or the required hours as defined by your plan of study.
- You will declare a single major before the beginning of your third semester and continue in your selected major throughout your studies at OBU. Students majoring in Music, Nursing, or Teacher Education must declare such majors before their first semester begins in order to engage the proper sequencing of courses to complete their degrees in four years. Otherwise, the Bison Pledge will not apply.
- You will meet at least once per semester with your academic advisor.
- You will make satisfactory academic progress through your course of study per the catalog requirements.
- This pledge does not apply to transfer students.
- Students who participate in study abroad programs may have the course sequencing of their degree program interrupted and adversely affect degree completion in four years. In these cases, the Bison Pledge will not apply. Students wishing to study abroad need to discuss the effects of studying abroad upon degree completion with their faculty advisor.
- This pledge does not apply to degree plans requiring more than 128 credit hours.